March 11th, 2014
Merrielle has been doing hair for 10 years. She started her career in Walnut Creek, then moved to Oakland/Berkeley to expose herself to more diverse hair textures and hair culture. She continued to work full time as a stylist while studying English lit & creative writing at UCLA. While living in LA she worked at Fred Segal salon & Lorraine Colour Bar. She is inspired by love, natural beauty, balance & custom creativity. Outside of work you might find her hiking or traveling, as seen here in her photo on a recent trip to India.
January 13th, 2014
Moving on up in 2014! Tina has been promoted to Junior Stylist! You can book with Tina in either location by giving us a call at
December 9th, 2013
Congratulations to the extremely talented Richie, who just became our newest Stylist! He will be taking appointments in both locations, to book with him call (888)35-Salon / 888-357-2566.
November 21st, 2013
24 years of Festoon, 24 years of learning…Thank you Festoon, I am so grateful for being with you for half of my life!
I opened this salon when I was only 24 years old. And oh how I’ve learned along the way.
My dream for Festoon was to create an environment that was warm and welcoming, where you were greeted by your name and often a hug, where you walked out more beautiful than when you came in, where you left knowing how to take care of your new look at home.
Simple? Sure – as a concept. But there were many lessons to learn along the way in order to make it all come true. Is this dream still true? Absolutely!
24 years, 40 Festoonies and many beloved clients later, Festoon has a life of its own.
Upon reflection, that is what I truly wanted. I never named the salon after me because it was never about me. It’s about a group of people who love what they do, who want to have fun, and who enjoy creating beauty every day…in order to festoon you!
My mission statement for the salon is:
We help our guests realize individual beauty through impeccable service and sustainable luxury products.
Are we there? Yes.
In reality, we are never ‘there’ because there must be continual evolution in order for Festoon to continue fulfilling my dream. Because of Festoon, I’ve been able to grow and change in amazing ways.
Here are 24 lessons I’ve learned along the way:
1) My clients are my university
2) Assumption will always land me in hot water
3) Surround yourself with the young and hopeful
4) Surround yourself with people different than yourself
5) What doesn’t kill you, does really make you stronger
6) Listen with 2 ears
7) There are many messengers
8) Beauty changes, and we have to change with it
9) Styles come and go, and then come and go again
10) Most beauty issues are solvable
11) Cold, dry weather isn’t good for skin, scalp or hair
12) People do get traumatized by bad haircuts and colors
13) Little girls should not get their hair cut at Barber Shops (see 12)
14) Say “Thank you” to a lot of people everyday
15) Technology sure has changed in 24 years!
16) As I get older and my clients get older – I think we look more alike than ever
17) If I really want something done, and I put one step in front of the other, it happens
18) The older I get, the more work it takes to look fabulous!
19) The older I get, the less I care what people think
20) Change your hair, it grows
21) Surround yourself with people who care about what they do
22) Travel to get a new perspective
23) If you have an issue, someone else has the answer. Go find them.
24) Be grateful
February 15th, 2013
You can see Thuan on Wednesday & Friday in SF or Saturday & Sunday in Berkeley.
Haircuts $45 & Color starting at $65
Call to book yours! 888-357-2566